In 1884, the White River rose over its banks, creating this overflow in the downtown. Handwritten on the back of this photograph is this note: “Newport, Ark., Hazel Street, looking from Front Street towards Third Street. In 1885, Newport’s town council gave a contract to the Batesville and Brinkley Railroad Company to build a levee around Newport, and work commenced the next year.
From the Jacksonport State Park Collection.
From Watson, Tim, and Elizabeth Jacoway. Newport and Jackson County. Arcadia Publishing, 2016