St. Cecelia’s Catholic Church in Newport started out in the 1890’s as the Church of St. John the Evangelist. Parishioner Christian J. Saenger was instrumental in raising construction funds, and the church building was completed in 1896. The first church burned in the 1926 fire, and the new church, St. Cecelia’s Roman Catholic Church, was completed in 1934. St. Cecelia’s continues to this day, although in a new location. (Courtesy of Jane Parnell.)