T.S. Stephens and George Stephens started the Stephens Livery, Feed & Sale Stable in Jacksonport in the 1870’s.  In the 1890’s, they moved their business to Newport, where, in addition to other services, they offered three round-trips each day between Newport and Jacksonport in the hack pictured at the right.  A note on the back of the photograph reads “Harry Stephens Livery Stable.”

From Watson, Tim, and Elizabeth Jacoway. Newport and Jackson County. Arcadia Publishing, 2016